Saturday, March 22, 2008

Saying Goodbye to IF, THEN


One of the most important teachings in The Secret -- I'd say, the most important -- is the basic fact that you have to participate in the Law of Attraction (LOA). That doesn't mean that you have to aggressively pursue your goals -- in fact, that doesn't work! As you must know from experience -- getting what you've wanted through aggression, manipulation, politics and other strategies has left you more miserable than before, with a shorter lifespan ahead to get it right...not a good deal.

What "participating in LOA" means is that you have to SHOW UP in your life; you have to actively decide, with the power of your intent, that you want to see a change in your life. As we've discussed in previous posts, perhaps that change will come from you; but more likely, it will come through and around you -- and you have to be ready for that change. You have to welcome it, embrace it, appreciate it, and indeed, be grateful for it.

And all of these things -- the welcoming, the embracing, the appreciation, and so on -- can only happen when you show up in your life. In other words, you can't play an "if-then" game with reality. You can't say:

  • if life gives me a million dollars (or more), then I'll start being generous


  • if life gives me good health, then I'll start enjoying my body


  • if life gives me fame and recognition, then I'll start accepting myself


  • if life gives me loyalty and security, then I'll start relaxing


  • if life gives me approval, then I'll start having fun


  • if life gives me success, then I'll start sharing and creating with others


  • if life becomes more enjoyable, then I'll start focusing on things that matter


  • if life becomes safer, then I'll start accepting other people as equals


  • if life becomes more peaceful, then I'll start generating change and growth


  • if life becomes more understandable, then I'll initiate and lead growth

And you can probably fill in your own "if, then" statement if you don't see one up there that, in some way, covers your current situation.

Today's lesson is simple (they're always simple!). Put aside the if-then statements; because the universe simply doesn't work that way...fortunately!

No comments: